MHP Foundation's 2nd annual "Run in the Sun" hosted more than 200 Participants
The weather was ideal for the more than 230 participants who gathered July 28 at Lacey Sports Complex to take part in the Mahaska Health Partnership Foundation’s 2nd annual “Run in the Sun” 5K Run and 1-Mile Walk fundraiser.
This year’s event raised approximately $9,600 for the MHP Hospice Serenity House. Before the race began, a brief ceremony was held for the families of patients who were served by the Serenity House. Bubbles were distributed and blown to honor the lives and memories of loved ones passed.
This year’s event exceeded our expectations yet again and I am so pleased with the outcome,” said MHP Development Director Cathy Stahl. “Everything from the ceremony to the chip-timing went smoothly.”
Fifteen-year-old Kamron Van Hulzen of Oskaloosa was the overall winner on the 5K with a time of 19:52:2. For the second year in a row, Betsy Luck of Oskaloosa was the overall female winner with a time of 21:04:8, bettering her time from last year by 14.1 seconds. Medals were awarded to the top three male and female winners of the 5K in each age group:
- Age 14 and Under, Females: Tori Palmer (1st), Anna May Jones (2nd), Andrea Loving (3rd). Males: Dawson Sarver (1st), Andrew Goemaat (2nd), Jack Moore (3rd).
- Age 15 to 18, Females: Megan Goemaat (1st), Brooke Beers (2nd). Males: Keaton Thomas (1st), Cole Oscarson (2nd).
- Age 19 to 29, Females: Lyndi Reed (1st), Rosemary Bailey (2nd), Jessica Bixler (3rd). Males: Matt Croonquist (1st), Jake Jenkins (2nd), Steve Elam (3rd).
- Age 30-39, Females: Melissa Lamb (1st), Kathy Schipper (2nd), Lisa Nelson (3rd). Males: Robert Nelson (1st), Gary Vroegh (2nd), Travis Abrahamson (3rd).
- Age 40-49, Females: Leanne Bartlow (1st), Ronda Almond (2nd), Elizabeth Moore (3rd). Males: Eric Reed (1st), Bobby Opheim (2nd), Steve Shettler(3rd).
- Age 50-59, Females: Linda Adams (1st), Rhonda Callison (2nd), Carol DeRonde (3rd). Males: Marvin Knoot (1st), Richard Hanna (2nd), Jeff Hileman (3rd).
- Age 60+, Females: Becky Rozenboom (1st), Jean Welsh (2nd), Victoria Laird (3rd).
Overall race results can be found on the MHP website at www.mahaskahealth.org.
Special thanks to the “Run in the Sun” planning committee of Brett Johnson, Clow Valve Company; Andy Holmberg, Clow Valve Company; Sandy Bailey, MidWestOne Bank; Keith Comfort, First National Bank Midwest; Shirley Vore, MHP Foundation Board and Cassie Riley, MHP PR/Marketing Coordinator.
Stahl also recognized MHP Foundation Board Member Josh Buckingham of TD & T Financial Group, who was not a part of the committee but very helpful the day of the race.
“We had so many wonderful volunteers who made this event such a success,” Stahl said, “Sherry Vavra and Kandis DeBruin of the Mahaska Community Recreation Foundation were a huge help. It is so wonderful to start and finish the race at the Lacey Sports Complex. Our 5K participants really enjoyed the long stretches on the trail and commented on the beauty of the course.”
Corporate Sponsors of “Run in the Sun” were: Clow Valve Company and Clow Valve Company – Outside Sales Group, Garland-Van Arkel-Langkamp Funeral Chapel, Mahaska Bottling, Sodexo Healthcare, Mahaska Health Partnership, Roche, Baird Holm, RehabVision, Henkel Construction, Schumacher Elevator, Supplemental Insurance Services, Family Medical Center, Hawkeye Real Estate, Mahaska Rural Water System, TD&T Financial Group, William Penn University, Garland-VanArkel-Langkamp, T. Mina Supply, Inc. and Oskaloosa Vision Center.
Major sponsors were: Garden and Associates, Lifetime Dental Solutions, Blue Stone Engineering, State Farm Insurance – Kelli Steil, Agent; Casey’s General Store, First National Bank MidWest, MidWestOne Bank, LaMair-Mulock-Condon Company, Vellano Brothers, Inc. and Champion Storage & Signs.