Access the information below to see frequently asked questions. If you still cannot locate the answer to your question, please contact Patient Accounts at 641-672-3315.

Billing & Financial Questions

Financial Application (updated Nov. 2022).pdf

Financial Application (updated Nov. 2022).docx


Please contact Patient Accounts at 641-672-3315 with any questions. Completed financial applications can be emailed to:

Mahaska Health is dedicated to helping you understand and prepare for potential out-of-pocket costs related to medical services you or a loved one may receive at our hospital.

The file below is a list of the hospital’s standard prices for items and services organized by charge code. The hospital’s charges are the same for all patients, but a patient’s responsibility may vary due to a number of reasons including:

  • The charge for the service
  • How many codes are included in the service
  • What insurance approves and pays
  • What amounts are applied to the deductible, copay or coinsurance

Click here to download prices (xls)

At Mahaska Health, we want to help you determine what your out-of-pocket cost is going to be so that you can make informed choices about your healthcare. Financial Counselors are available to help you prepare for the cost, understand the payment process and avoid financial surprises.

Contact a Financial Counselor for an estimate of out-of-pocket costs by calling 641.672.3315

Will the hospital bill my primary and secondary insurance?

Yes, as a courtesy to you, Mahaska Health will submit bills to all of your insurance companies. You will need to provide us with complete information on all insurances. Some insurance companies require additional information from the patient before they will process a claim. In this instance, it may be necessary for you to contact your insurance company and provide them with the additional information.

Will I receive an itemized statement?

Itemized statements are sent only if you request one. To request an itemized statement, please call 641.672.3315, between 7:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

Do you offer payment arrangements?

Yes, payment arrangements may be made by contacting us at 641.672.3315, between 7:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

Why did I receive separate bills for the hospital and the doctor(s)?

Physicians, pathologists, radiologists and other specialists submit separate bills. If you have questions about these bills, please call the number printed on your statement.

I stayed overnight in the hospital. Why is this billed as an outpatient stay?

The physician who ordered your service determined that your condition did not meet the criteria for an inpatient admission. The physician’s written order determines if we bill as an inpatient or an outpatient.

Medicare and my supplement always pay my bill in full.  Why do I have a balance due?

Medicare will not pay for self-administered drugs given to a patient on an outpatient basis. If you were in the emergency room or were an observation patient you may be required to pay for drugs that Medicare determines as self-administered. Medicare also has medical necessity checks on certain outpatient tests. If Medicare has determined your test to be not medically necessary, you will be required to sign an Advanced Beneficiary Notice prior to the test being performed. The test(s) will then be your responsibility. Normally, if Medicare does not pay for a test your supplement will not pay for it either.

Why should I contact my insurance company if they do not pay my bill?

We will make every effort to resolve your account with your insurance company. Occasionally, we will be unable to resolve the issue with your carrier and will need your assistance. If your insurance company is questioning the responsibility of another third party payer, usually they will only accept information from the patient or the subscriber.

What is a co-payment?

A co-payment is a set fee you pay to the provider at the time services are rendered. Co-pays usually apply to emergency room and office visits. The costs are usually minimal.

What is a deductible?

A deductible is a set amount that you must pay before your insurance benefits will pay. For example, if a your policy has a $500 deductible, you must pay $500 out of pocket before your insurance carrier will pay benefits. Once you have met your deductible, your insurance carrier will usually pay the remainder at a specified percentage based on your policy agreement.

What is co-insurance?

Co-insurance is a percentage of your bill. For example, after your deductible has been satisfied, your insurance carrier will usually pay the remainder at a certain percentage, such as 80 percent. The remaining 20 percent will be your responsibility.