Dedicated 24/7 Trauma & Emergency Care
Mahaska Health Emergency Services proudly provides our community with level IV Trauma Center care and operates a three-unit Paramedic Level ambulance service. Our Level IV Trauma Center means we are committed to having dedicated expert emergency physicians onsite 24/7. In addition, Radiologic imaging, Laboratory, Orthopaedic and Surgical services are available 24/7 to respond to our patient’s needs.
All of our emergency physicians and general surgeons are specially trained in Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS). In addition, our staff and physicians maintain extensive certification in the areas of Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Advanced Pediatric Life Support (PALS), Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP) and Trauma Nursing Core Care (TNCC).
Paramedic Level Ambulance
In addition to their emergency response, our ambulances and paramedics are often on site at community football games and are available for schools, churches or other special community and educational events. They also graciously provide tours for groups in the community who are interested in learning more about emergency care.
In case of life-threatening emergencies, please call 911 for your nearest local Emergency Medical Services (EMS). If you have any question about the severity of an emergency, call 911.
Life-threatening Emergencies include:
- Chest pain, difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Serious or severe injuries, burns, electrical shock, contamination, trauma
- Uncontrolled bleeding
- Vaginal bleeding during pregnancy
- Coughing or vomiting blood
- Altered mental state (confusion)
- Suicidal thoughts or feelings
- Stroke symptoms (sudden numbness or weakness in the face, arms or leg, especially on one side of the body, sudden confusion or trouble speaking or understanding, trouble seeing in one or both eyes, sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination, sudden severe headache with no known cause).
- Poison ingestion or overdose
- Severe vomiting or suspected food poisoning
- Abdominal Pain
- High fever that does not get better with medicine
Mahaska Health Emergency Services is located off of C Avenue East along the east side of the building. As you approach campus, you will see a large purple sign marked Emergency, turn left and continue going straight until you see a large sign marked entrance #5.