Does the idea of running have you hiding under the covers in the morning? What if we told you it could increase your chances of living longer and keep your ticker healthy?
Cardiac Rehab Nurse Renee Edgar knows how great physical activity can be for your heart, especially when it’s happening on a regular basis. Whether you’re an avid runner or just starting out, a simple 30 minutes of exercise per day can really boost your health! In fact, it can do a number of things for you, including:
- Lower your risk of heart disease and stroke
- Lower your risk of diabetes
- Lessen your chances of a heart attack
- Slow your resting heart rate, helping extend the life of your heart
- Blast stress, another no-no for overall well-being
- Help maintain a healthy weight and dissolve that abdominal fat, which puts you at a higher risk for cardiovascular issues
- Lower your spouse’s risk for heart disease, even if they don’t join you!
Those are some pretty great reasons to start running! Wait, you’re still not convinced? What if a brisk walk provided just as much benefit? Does that perk you up? That’s right! You can’t go from no movement at all to winning your next marathon, so start small! Fit in a walk each day to not only blast your stress away, but help work your way to a healthier heart.
What better way to start working on a better you than participating in a 5K or one mile walk for a great cause? Mahaska Health’s Run in the Sun on Saturday, August 5 at the Lacey Recreation Complex can do just that! Registration is now open and team discounts are available. All proceeds benefit the Hospice Serenity House, so it’s a great way to not only get your blood pumping but help your community too! Register online now