Mexican Chicken & Bean Soup
As the weather cools, warm up with this simple, yet satisfying meal!
Time to Get Cooking!
Makes 10, 1.5 Cup Servings
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 4 Hours
Total Time: 4 Hours 10 Minutes
- 2 Cans Mexican Style Tomatoes
- 1 Can Corn
- 1 Can Pinto Beans
- 2 Cans Black Beans
- 2 Cups Chicken, Shredded
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
**Add more seasonings to taste
You Will Need
- Slow Cooker
- Open all cans. Do not drain tomatoes.
- Drain liquid from corn, pinto and black beans, and rinse with water in a colander.
- Add tomatoes, canned corn, pinto beans, and black beans.
- Add shredded chicken.
- Add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Add chicken broth and stir.
- Put the lid on and plug in. Set the cooker to low heat and simmer for four hours.
- Stir, serve, and enjoy!
Make it Healthier!
- Less Sodium: Use no salt added canned vegetables.
- Make prep go faster by opening all your canned items ahead of time.
- Don’t drain the liquid from canned tomatoes for this soup. The added liquid gives the soup extra flavor!
- Drain the liquid from your beans and rinse in a colander before adding to the slow cooker.
This recipe comes from Lea Rice,
Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator at Mahaska Health.