Red Beans and Rice
Need a healthy, delicious recipe for your healthcare goals? Check out Lea’s Red Beans & Rice recipe for a healthy, family-friendly meal!
- 1/4 cup diced green peppers
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) red beans
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon of Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
Time to Get Cooking!
Makes 8, 1 Cup Servings
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 35 Minutes
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
- 268 Calories
- 1 g fat
- 457 mg sodium
- 50 g carbohydrate
- 12 g fiber
- 15 g protein
You Will Need
- Large Pot
- Thoroughly rinse and drain beans with water
- Sauté green peppers and onions in olive oil until brown
- Combine all ingredients together
- Simmer on stove for 20-25 minutes
- To save time, look for diced pepper and onions in the freezer section.
- Try substituting quinoa instead of brown rice for added protein and fiber.
- To reduce sodium, use no added salt canned beans or dried beans.
- If red beans aren’t available, try using pinto beans.
This recipe comes from Lea Rice,
Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator at Mahaska Health.