Public Health Education Services
- Hand washing demonstrations for preschool and health fairs
- Mahaska County Public Health participates in community educational events like YMCA Healthy Kids Day, Back to School events, Oskaloosa Elementary Kindergarten Round-Up, and Mahaska Health’s Women’s Health Night.
Disease Prevention and Preparedness Services
Public Health conducts reportable disease follow-up and surveillance, including:
- Case Identification and Finding
- Contact Tracing
- Prevention, Control of Spread of Infection, and Surveillance of Communicable, and Environmental Disease
Youth Vaccination Services:
- The Vaccine for Children’s (VFC) Program provides vaccines to children birth through age 18 enrolled in Medicaid, does not have health insurance, are underinsured, or are American Indian or Alaskan Native. Call ahead scheduling is recommended.
- Annual school and daycare audits of immunization coverage in Mahaska County
General and Adult Vaccination Services:
- Adult immunizations are available upon request subject to availability.
- Seasonal flu vaccine clinics are offered off campus, or done in conjunction with blood pressure screenings or the annual drive-through flu clinic held on Mahaska Health campus.
Mahaska County Public Health is an active voting member in Service Area 1C Coalition and maintains strong partnerships with area organizations including Mahaska County Emergency Management, local schools, law enforcement, and other care providers.
Public Health provides the following services with regards to emergency preparedness:
- Bio-Emergency Preparation – call for more information.
- Blood pressure clinics and screenings are held at locations across the county, and can be arranged upon request.
- Additional screening services include diabetes, head lice, and tuberculosis.
In Home Healthcare Services
Homecare aide and homemaking services:
- Bathing, shampooing hair, toileting and dressing
- Meal preparation
- Grocery shopping
- Light housekeeping
- Other personal cares specific to meet your need
Provided by Registered Nurses:
- Assessments and blood draws
- Medication administration/setup/instruction
- Vital Signs
- Health educators in nutritional guidance, home safety and health promotions
Fees and Payment
Services are covered by grants and private pay, according to eligibility. Fees to patients are based on their ability to pay.
Public Health services are located on level 3, best accessed through entrance #1. Take elevator C to level 3.